Wednesday, September 9, 2009

2009 NFL Preview, Predictions & Rant

Greetings! I must admit I've been lacking on the sports blogging. However I am proud to announce that my Talking Trash blog will remain open to the public unlike my personal blog. I hope to continue this sports blog more frequently as the busy season for sports approaches.

Business aside I have a lot to get off my chest about my beloved Denver Broncos. First off let me just tell you that for every year since I've been alive and a fan I've expected the Broncos to have a playoff caliber team, and for the most part they've delivered. I've never been embarrassed to be a Denver Broncos fan due to their above average to average play for many seasons.

I am still a Broncos fan. I have to say that because what I'm about to say might make you think otherwise. I hope the Broncos win only 4 games this year. Despite being one of the guys calling for a fresh face at head coach at the conclusion of last year's end-of-season debacle, I didn't expect to also have a fresh face a quarterback. I bought the Cutler jersey last year expecting the Pro Bowler to remain a Bronco slinging passes for years. Then came in Billichek Jr. and he messed it all up. Why would you bother to try and trade for a quarterback when you have a Pro Bowl caliber one already? People might think Jay Cutler was being a baby, but I see his point to a certain degree. Why was this new kid on the block coming in and upsetting the captain in his first weeks as head coach?

Still I've tried, unsuccessfully to come to terms with the Cutler deal. The draft pick is nice. The Orton is not. Basically what happened is we swapped a Pro Bowler for a toilet bowler. Madden has them ranked as Cutler 88 overall and Orton as 73. That's about right. With injury factory, Chris Simms labeled as the backup and an unknown Tom Brandstater as the 3rd QB I've been waiting everyday for the Broncos to make a trade for an actual quarterback. Still waiting.... I have liked what I've seen from Brandstater and even went as far as to declare him my starting quarterback on the Madden video game... however Tom weighs in at a whopping 60 overall so he's a work in progress. Luckily the Vikings offered me Favre for Orton straight up so despite my dislike for him I had to make the deal to acquire a quarterback who could throw a pass farther than 17 yards. I hate to change my team on the game. I usually like to run with my team, but this year I had ALOT of work to do before i could compete.

Basically what I'm saying here is that for the first time in years I don't expect the Broncos to even finish the season .500 which is sad. I'm not excited to watch this baby-faced Billichek wannabe try to be successful at the expense of my team. I've wanted him to get fired so badly I even tried setting up a blog as Josh McDaniels so I could write things that would be labeled "cybersmear," thus costing him his job. (Not really)

Brandon Marshall wants out, Orton and Simms are injured. There are a number of capable running backs but with everyone learning a new system led by ????? it should be a long year. Thank God they worked to fix the awful defense by adding Brian Dawkins and a host of others. If this team is going to have any success this year it might ironically come from the side of the ball that kept the Broncos out of the playoffs last year. I mean if they would have won one of their last 3 games they were in the playoffs... then am I writing such a blog? So much changed in a knee jerk reaction that makes me wish Shanny was still with the Broncos. Hopefully he can return next year after McDaniels is fired!

Briefly now let me swing my focus to my other squad, The Buffalo Bills. They acquired Terrill Owens and I'm actually feeling like he's ready to make the Bills a winner on and off the field. By the way he pair with Lee Evans to give the Bills the best 1-2 combo in the league... yeah I said it. If Marshawn Lynch can't figure his crap out I feel Fred Jackson can fill the void. Trent Edwards is ready to either break out or bust and I lean towards break out because with his receiving core I think Trent Dilfer could make a Pro Bowl worthy comeback. The defense has lots of young talent and if they stay healthy should be one of the leagues best. Therefore I've switched my usual preseason hopes for the playoffs to the Bills. Their time is near.

Now I'm going to run through each division and give you the skinny on each followed at the end by my playoff teams, and then playoff predictions.

AFC EAST

I just made it no secret that I expect the Bills to be playoff contenders. However they won't win the division. Sadly the Patriots have back the system leader Tom Brady so that should be good enough to take the division. Their defense is questionable and they are a few injuries away from being where they should be... the bottom of the toughest division in football. The Jets have a nice foundation for future success but they are a year away from a breakout season. The Dolphins will slip back to the bottom but don't look for them to be pushovers. Last place might finish 7-9 here.

AFC NORTH

Can you believe the Steelers won the Super Bowl last year? I always have to remind myself. That team was not that good. However in a division with only one other legit team they should still be good enough to win it. The Ravens will nip at their heels though and should easily secure second place. The Bengals seem to be healthier this year and if they stay that way 3rd is about as high as they can hope for. The Browns almost always refuse to better their roster and I don't expect Mangini to have this team turned around until next year.

AFC SOUTH

The Colts reign over the division ended last year but I expect them to be back on top this year with the Titans right behind them. The Jaguars seldom make an effort to get better and might come in last because the Texans defense is nice. However the Texans offense is dependent on injuryfest chairman, Matt Schaub. Either way if it's not Colts or Titans here don't worry about 'em.

AFC SOUTH

Obviously this will be the first season I don't take the Broncos, and I like everyone else will take the Chargers to win it. Too much talent not to, although they tried last year. However it wouldn't shock me if they choked their way our of the playoffs. That said the rest of the division is full of teams that are two years away. The Chiefs and Broncos have new coaches, quarterbacks, and systems while the Raiders are after all the Raiders. Smart money says Chiefs for second and I do have enough confidence in the talent left in Denver to get to 7-9 and a second place finish... but they won't. Chiefs 2nd Broncos 3rd.


NFC EAST

I started in the AFC because it's the only conference that matters. However if one division in the NFC spurs hope it's the East. You could make a case for all of the teams to make the playoffs with the Redskins being the only stretch, however the defense is nice. I like the Giants to win it but it will come down to the final weeks with the Cowboys and the Eagles. The Eagles will falter enough during the season that will make it hard for them to comeback from so they'll finish third, but still sniff a playoff birth. The Cowboys will have a nice season in the new stadium but probably won't be looking at any home games.


NFC NORTH

The heartbeat of my new home area beats loud for the division, and it's much improved from last season. The Bears and Vikings finally got legit quarterbacks and if they put together their offense to go with solid defenses this one could be a dog fight. The Packers look good too, but their defense is overrated. I fear this division will beat up on itself so much that they might only get one team in the playoffs, but that guarantee belongs to the Bears. They finally have a quarterback and he has something to prove. Couple that with a great D and good running game to make them the class even above everyone else's favorite Vikings. That said the Vikings should outlast the Packers for second place much to the chagrin of Packer nation. I'm not forgetting to mention a team am I? Much improved from 0-16 could still mean 2-14. Sorry Lions... nice new unis though!

NFC SOUTH

The Falcons went from a team on the mend to legit last year and they'll be making more noise this year as division champs. The Panthers will finish due to their defense, while the Saints will finish third due to an awesome passing attack. That leaves the Buccaneers in last because they seem to also try to find ways to get worse. I don't even know who their starting quarterback is for crying out loud.


NFC WEST

So the Cardinals went to the Super Bowl last year eh? While everyone was busy crowning them as this year's walk away winner in the West they forget to see the improvements made in Seattle. I think the pressure of being the hunted rather than the hunter will pressure the Cardinals in to a second place finish as long as Seattle stays healthy. The Rams are going to have all sorts of problems as will the 49ers but if injuries to plague the front runners either of these two squads might muster up enough to get to at least 2nd. I'd lean Niners before I leaned Rams though, because they have 100% more Frank Gore than the rest of the league.


PLAYOFFS

AFC Divison Winners: Steelers, Colts, Patriots, Chargers
Wild Cards: Ravens, Bills

Picking the Bills is a little of a "heart" pick but it's either them or the Titans. I'd like to see the Ravens and Colts in the AFC Championship game, but seeing as a team I hate is usually in the mix that late it will have to include the Steelers or Patriots. Let's not kid ourselves America. The San Diego Chargers are the biggest choke artists in modern football. How many years have you been picking them now? How many years have they made the Super Bowl even? Got that number? Yeah well don't bother on them again. I'll take the Patriots and Ravens in the AFC Championship and as much as it pains me to say... I see the Patriots winning. They always seem to find a way and they are hungry ever since the loss to the Giants.

NFC Division Winners: Bears, Falcons, Giants, Seahawks
Wild Cards: Vikings, Cowboys

Yup no Cardinals. One and done they were. They did finish 9-7 after all then just got hot at the right time. Look for more of that in this years version of the NFC playoffs. I'm not sure how it will all shake out but I like the Giants and the Bears in the NFC Championship game. People will be excited at the chance of a Super Bowl rematch but instead they'll get a hot headed alleged "cry-baby" leading his team to the Super Bowl.

Bears Vs. Patriots.... I hope the Bears could find away to win and right now I'd have to pick them... but the Patriots game planning would probably get in Jay Cutler's head faster than a trade rumor and cause him to break Elway's interception record in the first half. Smart money would go Patriots even though it makes me sick... I'm going to go puke now.... pray that I'm wrong America... pray

No comments: