Saturday, January 17, 2009

Busting the Talking Trash Blog Hymen!

On May 14th, 2008 the hit cable access show "Talking Trash - The Sports Talk Show" had the last of it's 109 episodes.

Since then I've been busy getting my life together and moving on... literally to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I took a job at the Bradley Center and began work there 6 months ago. Obviously working there I've been seeing some good sports stuff. Finally after the Brewers playoff run, almost every Bucks home game, and watching the Big East conference via Marquette I've boiled over.

Well that plus the Orlando Magic are the bomb, The Broncos will have a new head coach, and what is up with the black jerseys UVM? Let's just say that there are more than a few things in sports to say and I need to say them.

So here goes... let's see if it's like riding a bike...



Howdy all! Welcome to Talking Trash Blog-Style. It's been a long time coming but let's dig in.

First off I have to speak on my new home in Milwaukee. There are some pretty serious sports fans out here. They treat the Packers like GODS. The entire state rarely plans anything opposite a Packer game, and after taking in a regular season game there myself this year I can tell you... you don't mess with the Packers fans and their Packers. It was an honor to be in legendary Lambeau Field and I rooted for the Pack who lost on a last second kick. The Brewers made the playoffs for the first time in 27 years and being apart of that was awesome. I was there for the final game of the season when they clinched and at the first playoff game they hosted. I must admit I'm a huge Brewers fan now. As far as the Bradley Center goes I've seen some good basketball, but also some great hockey. The Admirals are one of the top teams in the AHL right now. They are the affiliate of the Nashville Predators and while I'm thinking of it the Nashville Sound is the affiliate of the Brewers... what's up with that? Sister cities much?

Getting back to the hoops I'll open with words on the NBA. First I'll mention how nice it is to live in an NBA city. People here pay attention to it which is awesome. In Vermont I often felt like the only person in the room who knew who won the Blazers/Clippers game last night. It's easier to love "the association" with every NBA team rolling in to your workplace. So far this year my highlights were exchanging pleasantries with Shaq and Grant Hill, running spotlights for player intros from the catwalk, cursing the Celtics (under my breath) as they passed me in the hallway, and watching players get screened for the airport right on our loading dock. Also the Bucks aren't as bad as they used to be. They still aren't a top 10 NBA team, but they are playing well at home, and are currently 8th in the Eastern Conference. It could work out nicely if things continue to come up roses for my Orlando Magic. They just swept everyones darlings, the Lakers, and have the second best record overall in the NBA. I smell a Bucks/Magic first round series, and it smells good.

I have to address quickly that I remain a Magic fan first and foremost. After that it's all Bucks. The Magic don't visit the Bradley Center until mid-March and I'm unsure how I'll handle that day. Maybe I can get it off and watch the game because I couldn't wear a Bucks hat that day... but I digress.

Lastly on the NBA I have to mention how maddening it is to hear about where LeBron is going in 2010. It's still the 08-09 season last time I checked and his team is atop the NBA and undefeated at home. Talk about how good he and they are now, and let the chips fall where they may later. Plus no matter how good he's been in the regular season he has yet to lead his team to an NBA Finals win in even one game yet. Let's not crown him "king" until he's held the crown. No matter how good a regular season they have I never consider the Cavs a legit threat to win the East due to there choke factor in the playoffs and lack of solid players around LeBron. Mo Williams, and Delonte West are not the answers and when LeBron starts throwing up bricks in the playoffs I doubt Daniel Gibson will be dusting off his game again to lead them to the promise land. Wally, Big Z, and Anderson Varja-fro are not the inside players that champs are made of. I know it, you know it and the American people know it. Why don't the Cavs? If this is what they give LeBron for support then I guess I do know why people are talking about where he goes in 2010.

Turning to college hoops I must mention how cool it is to work in a Big East building. Ranked teams all the time and Marquette themselves are #14 right now! It's no America East and that's no slight on them, but... well let's just stick with "it's no America East." Speaking of I got to watch Vermont/Boston University the other day and I enjoyed seeing my guys out there. It was a much needed comeback win but I hated the new black jerseys. It sort of worked as an alternate for hockey, but not basketball. Hey UVM..... paying attention? UVM school colors: Green and Gold.... See what's not there? Yeah, black. White is always an acceptable mix and black can be used in accent form but a full black uniform gives the impression to folks not in-the-know that black is one of your school colors. represent your school colors proudly and get the names off the backs of the jerseys. UVM has always played for the name on the front, not the back. Why change that now?

NFL... I have to chime in on the Broncos head coaching situation because as an avid fan I'm asked about it a lot. The day their season ended I called for Mike Shanahan's head. Days later I got what I asked for. I was probably one of the few not shocked, but rather relieved. Shanny was awesome for Denver, but lately his ways have gotten stale. Teams have figured out his schemes and the Broncos needed something new while they still have a potent young offense. I'm not really sold on the new hire, Josh McDaniels, yet, but after I see him wearing Broncos gear a little more than the "tiny Elvis" head that he used to wear with the "oh we went 11 and 5 but didn't make the playoffs...too bad." Patriots. How bad must they feel looking at the Cardinals whom they crushed? Awesome.

What about them Cardinals, huh? Nice run, but I think it's over. They don't have a lot of big game players and I feel that they will be tight at home. The Eagles seem to be destined for the Bowl and I'd take them to win. Over in the AFC obviously I'm rooting for the Ravens. I don't care to get in to why right now but I've always hated the Steelers. If they make the Super Bowl it might be unwatchable. I hope that the "you can't beat a good team 3 times in one season" theory holds true, but I don't think it will. I'll take the Steelers. Thus setting up the Pennsylvania Bowl. Sadly I feel the Steelers Defense might be too much for the Eagles and sadly they are my pick to win right now. Anything else would be acceptable, but surely we'll get the Steelers because the NFL hates me.

It was good to see Oklahoma lose in the BCS championship game. However my national champion is Utah. That's the way it should be anyway when you don't lose a game all year. Years like this reiterate the point that a playoff is needed.

People here in Wisconsin actually pay attention to college football unlike Vermont. Having a Big Ten power in Wisconsin is reason enough I guess. It's sort of my new "Vermont NASCAR" in that I feel like I have to pay attention to know what my friends and colleagues are talking about. Better football than racing I guess, but we all just heard why I hate college football. C'est la vie.

I really hate that Tim Thomas is a Bruin. They, and he, are having a nice season but as a Canadiens fan I'm bred for hatred of all things Bruins. Damn you Tim... demand a trade so I can root for you. Also good to see that former Vermont captain, Jamie Siefers is doing well since being called up to the Maple Leafs this year, but again... Habs/Leafs big feud.

How hot is Sportscenter LIVE every morning? It's Hannah Storm hot! Not only is the sports reporting worth keeping your morning wood, but Hannah storming into your living room wakes you up with a smile too. Thanks ESPN. Feel free to sprinkle a little Erin Andrews or add a dash of Rachel Nichols just for taste. If I haven't put in my contacts yet you could sneak a Wendy Nix in to the mix as well.

Alright well that's all the time I have for now. Remember to check back for more and if you have something you want me to address in sports, have a comment, or have a question of any sports kind send it to: jason.piche@uvm.edu attn:Talking Trash Blog

Thanks for coming!!

*sings Eagles fight song while flapping wings

No comments: