Friday, October 2, 2009

Thank you Joe! A hockey legend hangs it up

On Oct. 1st as the NHL season kicked off it was missing something it hadn't had in 20 years... Joe Sakic suited up for play. While many fans, and even the entire Avs team, donned Joe's 19 sweater he traded his usual game wear for a black suit. The team quite literally rolled out the red carpet for Joe in his retirement ceremony. After all, he had been the face of the franchise since it moved to Colorado in '96.

Joe was always one of my favorite players. Despite him playing for the Canadiens arch rival, the Nordiques, for the first 7 of his 20 seasons I always respected him, and admired his game. When he moved to Denver and later paired with another of my favorite players in Patrick Roy, I finally felt OK to don a jersey other than the Canadiens. That team captured the Stanley Cup in their first year in Denver! Surely it was a team built in Quebec City and no one knew that better than Joe. In fact he made sure to start by thanking the Quebec Nordiques, and their fans.

That's just the kind of guy Joe was. In fact I'm not sure I ever heard him speak much over the years. He was a quiet superstar. He did his talking with his play. He didn't grab unnecessary media attention, or get in to massive trouble. He was a rare "good role model" in an era of disappointing sports superstars. Despite my hatred of Ray Bourque, I'll never forget Joe immediately handing him the Stanley Cup after they won in '01. Trust me if you can make a Canadiens fan show respect for a life-long Bruin... you're really doing something.

To me Joe was always the steady captain. The one guy I always pointed to as my favorite hockey player that wasn't a former University of Vermont alum or a Montreal Canadian. Maybe I have a soft spot for Denver leaders. In fact Joe was the first to declare Denver a "City of Champions." One year before my other favorite Denver leader could airplane spin his way to a Super Bowl victory. Maybe Joe and the Avs helped pave the way. Maybe it's just an awesome coincidence. But either way it's gotten me to thinking about how much I love about a place I've never been.

So as I watched the ceremony for Joe, a tear came to my eye. He's always seemed to be in the league, and as his age as forced him from the game it's also made me realize my childhood sports heros are all gone. They've made way to new generations. The circle of life on a sports level. For Joe and 20 seasons it was the circle of perfection.

If I ever put together a dream team, Joe and Guy Carbonneau will be co-captains. So for his contribution to Denver, the hockey landscape, and my own personal love of the coolest game on ice I say.... Thank you Joe!

No comments: